Meet Dr. Sakamoto
Dr. Fred Sakamoto became interested in dentistry and periodontics during his undergraduate studies at The Ohio State University where he graduated Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in Microbiology. He continued his studies at The Ohio State University where he received a Degree in Dental Science. Then, he carried out a residency at Eastman Dental Center in Rochester, New York. From there, he returned to OSU where he earned a Certificate of Periodontology. Lastly, he furthered his knowledge of his craft at the Midwest Implant Institute in Lewis Center, Ohio.
After the completion of his education, Dr. Sakamoto has worked as an associate clinical faculty member at The Ohio State University College of Dentistry. He is currently a faculty member in the Columbus State Community College Dental Hygiene Department, a consultant for the Veterans Affairs Outpatient Clinic, and a doctor at his private practice: Central Ohio Periodontics.
Dr. Sakamoto is a member of The American Academy of Periodontology, The Ohio Academy of Periodontists, The Columbus Academy of Periodontists, The American Dental Association, The Ohio Dental Association, The Columbus Dental Society, The Dawson Academy, and The Academy of Osseointegration.
Outside of all of these responsibilities, Dr. Sakamoto still finds time to participate in other specialist groups. Previously, he was a peer reviewer for the Columbus Dental Society, the President of the Ohio Academy of Periodontists, and a member of the Ohio Dental Association Council of Dental Specialists. Currently, he is the Director of the Central Ohio Study Club, the Director of the Dental Hygiene Study Club, a member of the Spear Study Club, an Advisor for Advanced Dental Concepts and the Director of the Dawson Study Club.
Dr. Sakamoto was born in Tokyo, Japan. He is happily married with three children.
Ready to make an appointment? Our friendly staff looks forward to meeting you!
Credentials and Memberships
- 1985-1987: Midwest Implant Institute
- 1981-1983: Certificate of Periodontology: Ohio State University
- 1980-1981: General Practice Residency: Eastman Dental Center Rochester, New York
- 1977-1980: Degree of Dental Science: Ohio State University
- 1973-1977: Bachelor of Arts, Microbiology, Cum Laude: Ohio State University
- 1984-Present: Private Practice, Limited to Periodontics: Columbus, Ohio
- 1997-Present: Consultant, VA Outpatient Clinic: Columbus, Ohio
- 2004-Present: Faculty, Columbus State Community College Dental Hygiene Department: Columbus, Ohio
- 1981-1986: Associate Clinical Faculty: Ohio State University College of Dentistry
- American Academy of Periodontology
- Ohio Academy of Periodontists
- Columbus Academy of Periodontics
- American Dental Association
- Ohio Dental Association
- Columbus Dental Society
- Academy of Osseointegration
- 2017 – Present: Director of Dawson Study Club
- 2017 – Dawson Academy
- 2011 -Present: Advisor for Advanced Dental Concepts
- 2010 – Present: Member of Spear Study Club
- 2002 – Present: Director of Dental Hygiene Study Club
- 1997- Present: Director, Central Ohio Study Club
- 1995- Present: Columbus VA Chalmers Wylie Periodontal Consultant
- 1993-94, 1996-2000: ODA Council of Dental Specialists
- 1992-1993: President, Ohio Academy of Periodontists
- 1991-1993: Peer Review Committee, Columbus Dental Society