POSTOPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR LANAP PROCEDURE (Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure)
You have just received a new treatment for periodontal disease known as Laser-Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP). And, while no cutting or stitches are involved, there are still some important post-operative instructions that you should follow.
1. Swelling may possibly occur. To keep this at a minimum, gently place an ice pack on the outside of the face for 20 minutes each hour for the first 6-12 hours. If swelling is not evident, ice is not needed. Swelling is also controlled by Ibuprofen (Motrin)
2. Soreness is controlled by pain medications. Minor pain will be controlled by Ibuprofen (Motrin) or codeine (Vicodin, Percocet, Hydrocodone, Tramadol)
3. Some oozing of blood may occur and will appear to be greatly exaggerated when it mixes with saliva. Apply pressure with gauze or tea bag if oozing continues. If bleeding does not stop in 20-30 minutes or it is excessive, please call the office or Dr. Sakamoto.
4. Do Not brush or floss the treated area for 2-3 days following treatment.
5. Rinse your mouth gently 3 times a day with warm salt water (1/2 teaspoon of salt dissolved in an 8 oz. glass of warm water) and with Peridex (prescription) 2 times a day.
6. You will be on a soft foods diet for 2-3 days.
7. Avoid spicy or excessively hot foods during the initial 2-3 day period.
8. Don’t chew gum, candy, cookies, chips, nuts, anything hard or crunchy, anything that has seeds or hard pieces, meat that shreds and can lodge under the gum and between teeth, raw vegetables/salad for 2-3 days
9. If you are a smoker or chew tobacco we highly recommend not doing so while you are healing or any time after that. Any type of smoking and /or chewing tobacco will have an adverse effect on the progress of your healing and may cause the gum disease to reoccur after treatment.
If you have any questions or problems please call (614) 575-0070